Configure Outlook 2003 for use with Google Apps
A printer friendly version of this document is available
by clicking the "Print" link in the footer of this page.
- Password: You must set a Google-hosted password
before you can connect to a mobile device or third-party email client such as Outlook
- IMAP: Be sure to
enable IMAP in your Google Apps account.
- Username: The format of your Gmail user name will be
eName@rams.colostate.edu rather than firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When setting up POP or IMAP access to your Google Apps mail account, make sure to
enter your full email address (eName@rams.colostate.edu)
whenever you're asked for your username or address.
Outlook 2003 Configuration Steps
To set up your Outlook 2003 client to work with Gmail:
- Enable IMAP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
- Open Outlook.
- Click the Tools menu, and select E-mail Accounts...
- Click Add a new e-mail account, then click Next.
- Choose IMAP as your server type by clicking the radio button, and click Next.
- Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:
- Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of
- Email Address: Enter your full email address (Ename@rams.colostate.edu).
- Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.gmail.com
- Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com
- User Name: Enter your full email address (Ename@rams.colostate.edu)
- Password: Enter your Google Apps password.
- Click More Settings... and then click the Outgoing Server tab.
- Check the box next to 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication' and select
Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to 'This server requires an encrypted
connection (SSL)' under Incoming Server (IMAP).
- Check the box next to 'This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL)' under
Outgoing Server (SMTP), and enter 465 in the Outgoing server (SMTP) box.
- Click OK.
- Click Test Account Settings... After receiving the message 'Congratulations! All
tests completed successfully', click Close.
- Click Next, and then click Finish.
- Download the latest updates for Outlook from Microsoft. This will help prevent the
most common Outlook errors that Gmail users see.