Configure Outlook 2007 for use with Google Apps
A printer friendly version of this document is available
by clicking the "Print" link in the footer of this page.
- Password: You must set a Google-hosted password
before you can connect to a mobile device or third-party email client such as Outlook
- IMAP: Be sure to
enable IMAP in your Google Apps account.
- Username: The format of your Gmail user name will be
eName@rams.colostate.edu rather than email@example.com.
- When setting up POP or IMAP access to your Google Apps mail account, make sure to
enter your full email address (eName@rams.colostate.edu)
whenever you're asked for your username or address.
Outlook 2007 Configuration Steps
To set up your Outlook 2007 client to work with Gmail:
- Open Outlook.
- For new setups, select Do not upgrade.
- Click Yes.
- Enter your display name, email address (including 'firstname.lastname@example.org'), and
- Select the 'Manually configure server settings or additional server types' checkbox.
- Select Internet E-mail.
- Settings: name, full email address (including 'email@example.com') ◦In the
Account Type dropdown menu, select IMAP; enter the incoming and outgoing server
names shown below. ◦In the 'User Name' field, give your full Gmail address, including
'firstname.lastname@example.org' ◦After creating these settings, clicking Next takes you
to the end of the setup.
- In the Tools menu, select Options then Mail Setup. Under 'Email Accounts,' click
- Select an account, and click Change above the list of accounts. Click More Settings,
then the Advanced tab. ◦Incoming server must be 993, and must use SSL encryption.
◦Outgoing server can use 587, TLS encryption.
- Click the Outgoing Server tab. Make sure that 'My outgoing server (SMTP) requires
authentication' is selected. The radio button 'Use same settings as my incoming
mail server' should also be selected.
- Click OK < Next < Finish < Close < OK.